VA on the Bay

Sunday, July 02, 2006

Is it Explosious?

This is what my 7 year old autistic son asks me when faced with something new and potentially scary. I thought I would use it as the title for my first post, as it seems to fit well with how I feel about taking the plunge into "blogging". I have called it VA on the Bay, as I live on the beautiful Mornington Peninsula in Victoria and can see Westernport Bay from my office window. Why VA? A VA (or virtual assistant) is someone who provides office support from a remote office location via the internet.

How did this all come about? In June 2003, I started a secretarial support business called Amanuensis, (meaning secretary/scribe), as a return to work after having two children. The intention was to be able to work from home, while still spending time with my young family. Before starting out on my own, I had worked as a secretary, office manager and Executive PA for over 20 years.

Since then, the business has gone "virtual" and I have joined up with a couple of teams of like-minded souls who work for people all over the world from their own home.

Of course, working from home is not for everybody. Some people might find it quite lonely. It helps to belong to forums to share thoughts, get help and feel part of a team. If you are thinking about becoming a VA, check out A Clayton's Secretary and VA4U.

One of the forums I belong to recently posted a wonderful piece by Rhonda Abrams about feeling a fraud when you start a new business. I know that feeling well, particuarly when you meet others in the industry who have been out there a lot longer than you. Despite years of experience as a senior employee, nothing quite prepared me for the reality of being the boss: the wild joy when things go well and that sinking feeling of "the buck stops here" when things don't go quite as planned.

I am hoping that by posting as I go along, and "'fessing up" to mistakes and sharing successes, I may help other people thinking about starting a small business to get out there and have a go!

I love this industry. I still do occasional work for a former employer in the UK, even though I live in Australia. Where else could you do that!

Is it explosious? Yes. Is it fun? You bet!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home