VA on the Bay

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Pushing past your comfort zone.





As a new year begins it's a good time for reflection and goal setting. It's important to have goals that are realistic but are things that you want so badly you will push yourself out of your comfort zone in order to achieve them.


When I was discussing 2008 with my coach, he asked me to imagine that it was 31 December 2008 and to write a diary entry for that day saying what had happened in the past year. All the things that I wanted had happened, and I was looking back over the year. It was a great exercise and by putting it in writing, as if it had happened already, made it seem achievable.


At our next session I arrived feeling pretty pleased with myself, after all I had done my homework and felt ready for the challenge. My coach read my entry and then asked me, 'how much do you want this?'. I said, 'it would be really nice.' He told me to go back and rethink the goals and outcomes. It had to be something more than 'really nice', because when things weren't going well during the year, or the 100th person has thanked you for calling but doesn't want your business, what is going to make you call the 101st person?


That made me think again and I realised he was right. The driver for everything that I am doing is my family. My work allows me to be at home and available for the children. My work has allowed us to select the schools that we want my son and daughter to attend. My work frees my partner from the pressure of being the sole breadwinner. I said, 'the biggest driver for me to make that call, schedule a meeting or answer my mobile at 5 am, is to see my autistic son leave school in Year 12 with his VCE.' My coach said, 'that's it. I can see it. Go back and do it again.'


I went home and wrote a diary entry for 31st December 2016, reflecting back over the last 8 years. The image was strong enough and I want it to happen so much that I can picture it every time I pick up the phone to make a cold call or network to find a new client. I find it very difficult to sell myself and my business. I am not a great salesperson by any means, but I realise that I have to learn to do this, to push out of my comfort zone to achieve my goals.


I hope this helps anyone thinking of goal setting this year. Remember if you want it badly enough you can achieve almost anything!

Check out my profile in http://www.linkedin.com/in/clairehone

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home