VA on the Bay

Thursday, April 10, 2008

Girls and Boys Come Out To Play

I have been to two networking events recently. One with the Frankston Business Chamber and one with BNI. I was very nervous at the first one as I didn't know anyone and working at home, I don't have that much contact with people these days. Also I know I am not really good at marketing and selling myself.

My coach had been telling me that I shouldn't be at all nervous, it was just like kids in the playground. If they didn't want to play with you, there probably wouldn't be there. Of course he was right. It wasn't long at all before someone came up and introduced themselves. I decided that honesty is the best policy and confessed that it was my first meeting. By the end of a very interesting evening, I had explained to several people what I do, and what a VA is and each time it got easier and I felt more confident.

This proved to be very helpful, as when I went to the BNI meeting, the person who had invited me had forgotten to mention that you have to stand up and do a one minute presentation. In retrospect I am quite glad she did forget, because it meant that I didn't have any time to get nervous and just stood up, again being honest saying that I hadn't prepared, but it was fine.

If anyone had told me even 6 months ago that I could stand up in front on a room of strangers and talk for a minute about my business and what I do, I would have laughed out loud, but I did it, and it was Ok.

I have had several leads from those two meetings and one potential new client. There's another meeting of the Frankston Business Chamber coming up and I am taking my IT guru as a guest.

I can't wait to play with all the other kids

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home